Most of us pet parents love giving our dogs a little of what we are eating. Some of them have grown to expect some of your food. Here are a list of foods that may be harmful for your pet this summer.
Chocolate, Coffee/ Caffeine
- A substance called Methylxanthines is found in chocolate, coffee and caffeine. When digested by dogs, it can cause diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst, tremors, seizures or even death. Please keep these products away from your dogs. The smell may be enticing yet detrimental.
Grapes & Raisins
- Grapes have been known to cause kidney failure in dogs. Please be careful during picnics, barbecues and other festivities where food is served. Experts have admitted that they are not sure exactly what toxin is released inside the dog, but that kidney failure has been a direct effect of dog’s eating grapes.
- Ex. Grapes, raisins, cookies with raisins, fruit salads
Onions, Garlic, Chives
- These items can cause your dogs red blood cells to die. Foods are often cooked with these ingredients for humans, be careful not to give your dog too much if any at all. Poisoning from this causes weakness, breathing problems and vomiting.
- We may love Avocados and feel as though it loves us back. It can be very harmful to your dog. Avocado’s naturally contain persin in the fruit itself, in the leaves, in the bark, all throughout the tree. Too much can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Keep avocados away from your pet to keep them safe.
- Some may put raw eggs in their pet’s food to help with shiny coat or their health. Raw Eggs can also be harmful to dogs. Salmonella or E. coli can be found in raw eggs which would cause food poisoning. They have healthy alternatives for making your pets coat shiny.
Take the extra precaution and keep these foods away from your pets. Them getting into even a little bit of something and cause a lot of pain and harm to their bodies.