Does your dog have allergies? All dogs can have allergies. Some breeds are more likely to suffer from allergies than others. These breeds include: Terriers, Setters, Retrievers, and flat-faced breeds such as Pugs, Bulldogs, poodle mix breeds and Boston terriers. What are the symptoms ? Here are a list of Symptoms :
- Itchy, red, moist or scabbed skin
- Increased scratching
- Itchy, runny eyes
- Itchy back or base of tail (most commonly flea allergy)
- Itchy ears and ear infections
- Snoring caused by an inflamed throat
- Paw chewing/swollen paws
- Constant licking
What causes the allergic reaction?
Many things can cause an allergic reaction. Each dog is different and can have different triggers. Here are some common things that can cause a reaction.
- Tree, grass and weed pollens
- Mold spores
- Dust and house dust mites
- Cigarette smoke
- Food ingredients (e.g. beef, chicken, pork, corn, wheat or soy)
- Prescription drugs
- Fleas and flea-control products (Only a few flea bites can trigger intense itchiness for two to three weeks!)
- Cleaning products
- Insecticidal shampoo
- Rubber and plastic materials
What can you do to help with pet allergies?
- Clean your pup’s paws after going outside. If need be, quickly go over them with a baby wipe to remove all the extra pollen that may be in their fur/hair or on their paws.
- Contact your vet. Your pet may need prescription meds to help them deal with the reaction caused by their allergies.
- Clean your pet’s area regularly. This will help to minimize the spreading of what may cause their reaction. Oatmeal Bathes may also help to relieve the discomfort.
- Pay close attention to when your pet seems to have a reaction. It may not be caused by what you think.
- Over the counter meds have been prescribed for dogs before. Antihistamines such as Benadryl, Zyrtec and Claritin have been used in small dosage to aid with seasonal allergies. Contact your vet first.
Ex. Do they sneeze or itch after you spray cologne or perfume? Do they itch after you clean the floors? Are they ALWAYS licking their paws?